The Massachusetts Hospital Association—in collaboration with several organizations, including the Alliance—has created After the Hospital: A Guide to Post-Acute Care to inform patients and their caregivers of their options for care after a major change in a patient’s health. The 64-page After the Hospital: A Guide to Post-Acute Care fulfills a long-standing need to educate the public and members of the healthcare community about the care options available to patients following a medical event or hospitalization.
The guide is intended to cut through the confusion to provide patients, their families, or the person entrusted with their care a roadmap that will assist them in:
- Understanding their care needs;
- Learning about services that meet their needs;
- Talking to their health insurance company;
- Finding out more about their providers; and
- Making the choice that is right for them.
For providers, After the Hospital: A Guide to Post-Acute Care lays out the elements of a successful post-acute process, the range of available post-acute care services, provider checklists to support care transitions, and a list of key terms and concepts.
The full guide, or individual sections, can be accessed here:
- After the Hospital: A Guide to Post-Acute Care (full report, 64 pages)
- For Patients and Families (31 pages)
- For Providers and Clinicians (10 pages)
- Post-Acute Care Resources (25 pages)